When the pandemic started in 2020 my existing business was in manufacturing and physical spaces. I did a lot of research and wanted to figure out what was the next, most valuable skill I could learn on the planet?
Having been a web 2 fullstack developer for many years, the answer was learning Solidity to build on Ethereum. Blockchain developers/ engineers are arguably some of the most in demand skilled positions in the world, with Solana developers making up to 800k/ year.
Forget html and focus on web 3! To give you a statistic which really stood out for me, there are over 20 million IOS developers while there are about 20k web 3 blockchain developers.
But what are some other jobs that you can pursue or upskill for this next generation of the internet?
There are a number of jobs that are related to positioning your skillset for the metaverse. These jobs can range from creating 3D models and environments to coding applications that run within web 3.
Some specific metaverse jobs include:
- 3D Modeler – This job involves creating 3D models of objects, people, and environments. Experience with modeling software such as Maya or 3ds Max is required. Unity and Unreal engine are key programs to learn for 3d Modelers.
- Environment Artist – This job involves creating the look and feel of virtual spaces. This includes modeling, texturing, and lighting. Experience with game engines such as Unity or Unreal is required.
- Character Artist – This job involves creating characters that populate the metaverse. This includes modeling, texturing, and rigging. Experience with game engines such as Unity or Unreal is required.
- Animator – This job involves creating animations for characters and objects. This includes character animation, facial animation, and lip syncing. Experience with game engines such as Unity or Unreal is required.
- Coder – This job involves coding applications that run within the metaverse. Experience with programming languages such as C++ or Java is required. Focusing on learning Rust or Solidity is crucial as these skills are in high demand in 2022.
- UX Designer – This job involves designing the user experience for applications that run within the metaverse. Experience with design software such as Photoshop or Illustrator is required.
- QA Tester – This job involves testing applications that run within the metaverse to ensure they are functioning properly. Many of the applications built are completely new, have never been built before and require extensive testing and debugging. Experience with testing software and tools is required.
- Community Manager – This job involves managing community interactions and activities within the metaverse. Experience with social media platforms and online communities is required. Discord is the most used platform for web 3 related projects.
- Event Coordinator – This job involves coordinating events that take place within the metaverse. New types of interactions and experiences are emerging and an experienced event planner will be crucial to onboarding new users to have great experiences.
- Business Development – This job involves identifying and pursuing business opportunities within the metaverse. Experience with sales and marketing is required and how mutually beneficial partnerships can be established between correlated companies in these new platforms being build.
- Marketer – Contextual marketing is a form of marketing that takes into account the context of a user’s situation, in order to provide them with more relevant and targeted content. This type of marketing is becoming increasingly important as we move into a more digital world where users are interacting with brands and businesses through multiple channels.
- Sound designer – Sound design and immersive 360 audio will be a key feature of having transcendent virtual experiences, especially for concerts and installations. Unreal Engine has a section on spatial audio for anyone interested in sound design this would be a great place to start.
- Storyteller – With games, filmmaking and blockchain converging, storytelling will continue to be one of the most in demand skills to capture users attention.
- Blockchain Engineer – backend engineering for web 3 blockchain enabled applications. Check out Blockspace for a great place to learn for free.
What COMPANIES ARE HIRING FOR WEB 3 and METAVERSE RELATED POSITIONS?
“While the world is still early in its embrace of Web3, it is a market that is already demonstrating tremendous potential with many customers asking us to increase our support for Web3 and Crypto related technologies.”Google Cloud VP Amit Zavery said in an internal email
If you are looking for a position in web 3, here is a list of the top 10 companies that are building for this next generation of the internet:
- Google – Google is a major player in the tech industry and is constantly innovating and pushing the envelope when it comes to new technology. Google announced recently that they are focused on web 3 and becoming the number 1 cloud platform for web 3 and blockchain. They have a new dedicated team of engineers, developers and staff dedicated to this mission.
- Facebook – Facebook is another major player in the tech industry and has been working on several initiatives related to web 3.0. Renamed Meta they have breathed life, attention and investment into the space. It has had a ripple effect on smaller companies in the space like Polygon who recently received a 450M investment and Epic Games which received over 2B in new investment capital.
- Microsoft – Microsoft is another tech giant that is investing heavily in research and development for new technologies. Their recent purchase of Activision Blizzard signaled a commitment to being a dominant player in the Metaverse.
- IBM – IBM is another major tech company that is focusing on web 3.0 and integrating AI into platforms to assist with protecting intellectual property. IBM also is focused on becoming a dominant player in the hybrid cloud computing market with their recent purchase of Adobe Workfront.
- Amazon – Amazon is a leading e-commerce platform that is also venturing into the world of web 3.0. AWS, Amazon’s cloud platform, is currently the top cloud hosting provider for blockchains like Ethereum and projects within the ecosystem.
- Apple – Apple is another tech giant that is focusing mainly on new technologies like AR glasses which can be integrated into their current hardware lineup. Apple has a unique position to onboard new users with their App Store being the gateway to many of the dapps being built.
- Samsung – Samsung is a leading electronics manufacturer that is also focusing on web 3.0. Samsung recently unveiled the next generation of Galaxy S devices, including the first reveal of the Galaxy S22 phone and Galaxy Tab S8 in their own metaverse platform called Dreamground. Dreamground is an immersive art installation on display in New York at Samsung 837 and in Los Angeles at Sofi Stadium in Hollywood Park.
- Sony – Sony is another major electronics manufacturer that is venturing into the world of web 3.0. Along with parent company Lego, Sony is investing 2 billion in partnership with Epic Games to help construct virtual spaces designed for both children and adults to socialize, be educated and entertain in the metaverse.
- Nokia – Nokia is a leading mobile phone manufacturer that is focusing on web 3.0 through building out the infrastructure. Nokia sees the most potential in vertical industries such as architecture, urban planning and construction where real life use cases (traffic intersections, HVAC in buildings etc) could be tested in real time implementing technologies such as digital twin cities.
- LG – LG is another major electronics manufacturer that is focusing on web 3.0. These are just some of the companies that are invest in web 3.0 and the development of new technologies related to the metaverse. As we move into a more digital world, it is becoming increasingly important for businesses to focus on web 3.0 and the opportunities that it presents.
It was announced several years ago that In the above list companies 1-5 formed an AI partnership alliance. The tremendous amount of data controlled will govern web 2.5 and be the onboarding mechanism for web 3.0, so searching for positions at the top 5 companies listed here likely will position you best for a forward looking career in tech.